Monday, April 20, 2009

Why We Meet Together Regularly

Why We Meet Together RegularlyRon Luce Some people have gotten out of the habit of meeting for worship, but we must not do that. We should keep on encouraging each other, especially since you know that the day of the Lord's coming is getting closer. - Hebrews 10:25, CEV The Bible specifically talks about the importance of getting together with other Christians so that you can learn and grow and continue going for God with all your heart. A lot of people think that after they make their commitment to the Lord, they can do whatever they want as long as they don't fall into major sin. The point is, however, that you are not designed to be a Lone Ranger Christian. You are designed to do incredible things for God and to change the world, but you have to be connected with other people who want to do the same thing. In Hebrews 10:25, the Bible gives you a specific instruction: "Don't you dare quit going to church! Don't you dare stop getting together with people who have a like mind and a like faith."This is an important point for young people today. A lot of people say, "I can't really make it to church. My job--my sports, my hobby, my whatever--interferes with my church and youth group." But, you have to surround yourself with people who love God and are going after God in the same direction. The Bible calls it fellowship.I have talked to so many youth pastors who get really discouraged. They work their heart out for their young people, yet the young people don't seem very committed. For example, I know youth pastors who have planned and planned and planned a retreat or some other activity. They announced it for two months and mentioned it during meetings.But when it came time for the activity, no one came. It turned out that the teenagers were more committed to a school activity or sport than they were to their youth group--people with whom they are going to heaven and spending eternity.As a follower of Christ, you need to turn that reputation around. You need to be the kind of person who says, "I know God has plugged me in here. God has a plan and a reason for my being here. I'll not commit to just Wednesday nights or just Sunday mornings. But every time that there is an opportunity for me to grow, I'm going to be here."Does that mean you have to be there every time the doors are open to church? No. But at the very least, be committed to the regular services and special events that your pastor and youth pastor have going so that they know you are a serious Christian.Don't be an airhead floating around saying, "I have my Bible and my study manual, and I'll do my own thing." If you are committed to the Lord, then there ought to be other people around you who know about your commitment to the Lord and who can help you grow. Maybe you have done some things that I've mentioned here or even other things to show a lack of commitment to your pastor or youth pastor. I want you to take a moment and think about anything you may have done to show a lack of commitment. Take some time this week to ask your youth pastor and pastor to forgive you for anything you have done to make their jobs more difficult.Think of some things that you can do that will show your commitment to meet with other Christians. How can you show that you have determined that you will not allow yourself to get out of the habit of meeting for worship? How can you show your commitment to your youth group and church? Don't just be a flighty, air-headed, haphazard Christian who floats in now and then.Write down four or five ways that you can show your commitment to obey Hebrews 10:25.

No comments: