Thursday, April 23, 2009

Let The Church Be The Church

Let The Church Be The ChurchPastor Sherman Scott And I say also to you, That you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18 KJV. In my young life I have the opportunity to live in some great states all of which exposed me to great things.For instance, while living in Boston, MA I was exposed to Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology leading educational institutions. It is said that the hardest thing about Harvard is getting in because they will ensure you make it through the matriculation process and upon graduation your life will be set.New York City exposed me to Wall Street, Merrill Lynch, Broadway, BMG, Sony, and a host of other companies that were leading business institutions that dictated the financial and culture spectrums of our world.Washington, DC opened my eyes to our powerful government. It was here that I was exposed to the Judicial Branch - Supreme Court, the Legislative Branch - Congress and the Executive Branch - The office of the President of the United States. For the 1st six months of my residency I was an avid tourist, I would visit the Monument, Embassy Row, I even visited the National Cemetery and I of course I visited the famous 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, which is the address of the White House.However that was not the address that impacted my life the most. The address that changed my life forever was 625 Park Road and later 610 Rhode Island Avenue the address of Greater Mt. Calvary Holy Church. There is no greater institution than the Church!Jesus stated "Upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"The church for me was everything. It provided me with an outlet to develop a relationship with God; I was also able to develop relationships with people that have now stood test of time for over 20 years. There is no other institution like the Church!Think about, the church is the place where relationships are established. It is the place we are christened as babies, where were married, and it is the place where we are eulogized. The church is where we learn life principles on living a victorious life. It is also where learn how to manage our financial affairs and live healthy lives. The church, yes the "Church" is where you can go to the alter and leave undeniably "saved."It is where you can become whole; trade in the sorrow, shame, pain, wounds, and hurts of our mind and bodies. We can leave the baggage that we often carry with us psychologically, physically and spiritually and experience wholeness through Jesus Christ.I remember one of the mothers of the church say, "it's time for the church to stop having church and BE the church" since we are the ecclesia (the called out ones - the church) let's do our part. What can you do to help your church introduce people to a relationship with Christ, change lives, strengthen families and impact communities?Some people may never have the privilege I had afforded to me to visit a great church, but can they watch you? Can their life be impacted by the relationship they have with you? The only sermon people may hear is the one you preach with the way you live.Let's be the church!

No comments: