Monday, April 6, 2009

The Power Of The Cross

The Power Of The CrossPastor Olu Brown I remember growing up in a small community and being spiritually nurtured by two local churches. You may ask, why two churches? Our immediate family membership was held at one, while the other church held the membership of some extended family. As a kid, I didn't think much about it, I just knew every other week my family would attend a different church. Although the two churches were different in style and leadership there was consistency in the music. One old hymn I may have heard sung at both churches still reaches my soul to this day.The hymn is a Watt's masterpiece entitled "At the Cross." The words I most like are found in the chorus:"At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light, and the burden of my heart rolled away, it was there by faith I received my sight, and now I am happy all the day!"Even at my young age, this song had a profound impact on my life. I knew very little about big theological phrases and the ultimate understanding of God, but for some reason this song made it as plain as could be. I believe it was the understanding and realization that Jesus loved me so much that He was willing to give His life for me and through His sacrifice on the cross and resurrection my life could be anew.Wow! I know it sounds crazy for one person's sacrifice to make such a difference in the world but it is truly real.As you live through the Easter season, I challenge you to revisit the words of this old hymn and rediscover the profound sacrifice Christ has made.Through our faith we "receive sight" and the opportunity to be "happy all the day."

No comments: