Friday, April 10, 2009

The Cross

The CrossPastor Sherman Scott (1 Cor 2:1-2) And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. {2} For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,And the burden of my heart rolled away,It was there by faith I received my sight,And now I am happy all the day! The aforementioned is the refrain to an old hymn of the church. While I absolutely love the music of today I can not deny the power of the hymns of the church. This particular refrain is centered on the "Cross."The Cross is probably the most familiar of all Christian symbols is the cross. They are worn around the necks of individuals. Bishop, Pastors, Elders and Ministers wear them as part of their civic and ceremonial attire. We see them on buildings, books, brochures, and Bibles.They are on top of steeples, against walls, they are everywhere. What is the significance? What does it means to you and me? We know that historically the cross meant death and suffering as a cruel means of execution. But is that why we celebrate it today? Is that why we embrace it this morning? No, not at all! The cross means much more than that. To the one who believes the message of God as given in His Word, the cross has identity. It becomes the cross of Christ. It means life rather than death; it means love rather than hatred; and it means joy rather than sorrow. Through the Cross of Christ, God reconciled sinful man unto Himself. An amazing accomplishment and one that only He could do! The cross is of great importance to us because it provides simplicity in a complex world, it provides direction in a busy world, and it provides motivation in an apathetic world.On April 12, 2009 we will celebrate Resurrection Sunday. For us as Christians our faith is anchored on the Resurrection. We often say, "I love you" to our love ones on special occasions I admonish you to take time out this day and tell our Lord you love him for what he has done for us.The Apostle Paul tells us in Romans 5:8 that "...God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us".

No comments: