Sunday, July 26, 2009

Freedom In Christ

Freedom In ChristPastor Olu Brown John 8:36 "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." In a society that values freedom, it is amazing to know how many of our fellow citizens live in bondage. I am not talking about the bondage most of you think about as it relates to jail cells, handcuffs and security personnel. I am referring to the lower security bondage that is uneasily detected but equally, if not more, confining than most traditional jail cells.My heart goes out to those who have suffered a misstep along the way and never fully recovered. Maybe it was growing up with an absent parent, poverty, divorce or the painful loss of a loved one. When the event happened it rocked their world and for some reason or another they never fully recovered. The event happened but they are still in bondage. Though they may not be in physical bondage, they find themselves in emotional, spiritual and/or mental bondage. I can recall so many days in my own personal life when I found myself deep within the emotional cells of fear and anxiety. I looked free, I talked free, shopped free and even pretended to worship free. Deep down I was still in solitary confinement. I unfairly convicted and sentenced myself to hard labor. It was only until I found the power of Christ and the hope of John 8:36 that I was reminded of the wonderful hope in Christ and being "free indeed!"This hope I now have in Christ is my fuel for life and the power to refuse the open invitation of my jail cell. Each new day, I am reminded of my freedom to live, love and hope through Christ.Today is your day and Christ has freed you. I know it is tempting to stay in your prison, but I dare you to receive your release agreement through the power of Christ and walk away a free person!

No comments: