Friday, June 26, 2009

Tea With My Father

Tea With My FatherLatrice Pace The most meaningful moments in a daughter’s life is spent with her father. I remember my mother telling me the story of her and my Daddy sitting up in the dining room late one night around the heater talking. I was playing around in his lap for hours and was suddenly at his feet. He then asked her what I was doing, I was sleep. Daddy had been working all day, just as he did every day of my life. When he finally got home I just wanted to be around him. I’m sure my bed was more comfortable than that hard wood floor, but I was comforted and at peace knowing that I was at the feet of my Daddy. In losing my Daddy in November of 2008 his purpose in my life became all the more clearer. Fathers play an essential role in their daughter's lives. Many things are learned and many things are taught. I learned to be assertive without being aggressive. I learned that some men are only capable of communicating their love with provision and security (Note: I didn’t generalize). I was taught that a man should be willing to dig ditches if he had to in order to provide for his family. Just a few of the invaluable lessons I will cherish.As a little girl I sought acceptance, validation, and the approval of my Daddy, as every little girl does. Sometimes wishing I were an only child so I could get it all and get it all of the time. After his homegoing I didn’t only mourn his death, I also mourned the void that the absence of his presence left. As well as those things I felt I was deprived of. I thought, “How in the world am I going to get them now?” Well, a few weeks later I had a dream about him. He was sitting at a table having tea and I was invited. Now, I have personally experienced in the European culture that for years they honored their tea time. Not only for it’s health benefits, but to relax, unwind and spend time with their friends. Their businesses would cease to operate in honor of afternoon tea. Purposely to relax, unwind and spend time with friends. My Daddy wanted to relax, unwind and spend time with me, his daughter and friend. Playing on a black and white television behind the table where he was sitting was footage of my mother in her younger years. He then apologized to me and wished things could have been better, different. He wished he could have left a greater inheritance. He then wished he could simply take me to dinner. Now, I’m not here to debate whether the dream I had about my deceased father was of God or scriptural. I’m simply sharing my experience. Even after his death he had a desire to provide for me. He wanted me to want for nothing. As our tea time came to an end I then assured him that I was going to be ok and that our heavenly Father had it covered. Many have lost their natural father, but just as it is in the natural, it is in the spiritual. Our spiritual Father is waiting for His time to fill your void and validate. His time to relax, unwind and talk to you, his friend.

No comments: