Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Face the Music

Face the MusicMilan Ford So I'm driving home from work the other day, and decided to turn the radio on to a local gospel music station. Something (I have to admit) I rarely do.They were playing a popular praise and worship song from recording artist Israel Houghton entitled, Friend Of God. Great song. Incredible message.After listening to the song, and having somewhat of a party in my minivan at the thought of an awesome God, creator of all the universe, who has chosen to love us, be mindful of us, and to even go so far as to call us His friend, I was quite saddened by the song that came on next. This time, by a totally different artist.I promise you...the artist must have named 'the devil' at least 32 times throughout the whole song, before I finally decided to shut it off. The essence of the song was to encourage believers to 'take back' everything 'the devil' stole from us as believers.Now although there is plenty room for some form of theological debate as to why the artist felt it necessary to pen a song with such a purpose, I couldn't help but wonder if the essence and design of praise and worship is to help believers like you and I become fixated on the name and nature of God......rather than His defeated foe.In addition to the spoken word of God, one of the most powerful tools you and I have to help align our faith and relationship with God is through praise. Our ability to become consumed with His character and attributes is essential to our growth in Him.The content of our praise should always reflect our faith in Him. The content of our worship should also always reflect our maturity in Him. Without His heart at the core of our lives, our songs will begin to be set on things and concerns that God (to be quite honest) may not even be concerned about. Like prayer, praise and worship is not a time for us to try updating an all-knowing God about our private concerns and pains. But rather it is a tool to become completely engaged with Him and His perspective regarding our lives.So why do I bring that up? How is that at all relevant? (I'm glad you asked...)News flash: We Are Free!We are free from the bondage of man.We are free from the bondage of sin.We are no longer defeated. We are no longer scorned.We are no longer cast down. Our lives, as well as our songs of praise, have to always reflect our renewed position in Christ.Colossians 3:2-3 states to "set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died (in Christ) and your life is hidden with Christ in God." This passage is a clear reminder that there is nothing you and I face in this life that can surpass the incredible liberty we now have as believers in Christ!I encourage us all today to begin to face the music. Let's all take a strong examination of the songs we embrace and sing as praise and worship. We must all mature to the point that His message can never be lost or exchanged for an exciting or soulful melody.I think Dick Gregory said it best. As a panelist one year for Tavis Smiley's State Of The Black Union, he said something I will never forget:"...my momma was so busy telling me about the devil, I became a grown man before I found out the beauty of God."Let's show the world together how much we've grown.Today, let's face the music.

No comments: