Friday, September 18, 2009

A Consistent Pursuit Of Excellence

A Consistent Pursuit Of Excellence
Dr. Robb Thompson
"Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14 (NKJV)
They're open, 24/7-all-night gas stations, round-the-clock supermarkets, year-round pharmacies. As believers, doesn't God also call us to faithfully press forward, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week? Many believers are content to stay as ordinary as battery-run wall clocks, only enjoying fleeting moments of greatness, without ever living a fantastic life. The common visit excellence momentarily, although in their minds, they think they do great all the time. They always think about the nice things they did last week or last month. At the same time, they wonder why they annually wait in vain for someone to finally recognize their vast achievements. But what they don't realize is that their pride and their refusal of correction make them utterly unapproachable.
This is a sad observation, but it still stands true-there is absolutely no advancement or promotion without embracing correction. Without embracing the correction and modification that Captain Wingate made in Moshe Dayan's military life, certain battles might have never been won, and where would Israel be today? Remember, none of us are perfect. Every one of us has imperfections we must face. However, as long as we continue to pursue excellence, we are headed in the direction that will consistently make us more like Jesus.
Father, I thank You that I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus takes hold of me. I do not count myself to have apprehended. But this one thing I do, I assign to oblivion those things that are behind me and I press on to the things before me.

No comments: