Tuesday, November 25, 2008

This is the Day That the Lord Has Made

This is the Day That the Lord Has Madeby Dr. David C. Cooper In his book, "To See the World in a Grain of Sand," C.L. James tells the fable of a wise old cat that notices a kitten chasing its tail. "Why are you chasing your tail so?" asked the wise old cat. The kitten replied, "I have learned that the best thing for a cat is happiness, and happiness is my tail. Therefore, I am chasing it; and when I catch it, I shall have happiness." The wise old cat said, "My son, I too have paid attention to the problems of the universe. I too have judged that happiness is in my tail. But, I noticed that whenever I chase after it, it keeps running away from me, and when I go about my business, it just seems to come after me wherever I go."Jesus promised us real happiness and true joy. "I have spoken these things to you that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete" (John 15:11).Happiness results from positive emotions such as joy, gratitude and hope. Negative attitudes are toxic to the mind and body. Research shows that negative emotions narrow thought. We can't dream or envision new possibilities when we are filled with negative emotions such as fear, resentment and pessimism. Positive emotions make thinking more creative and resourceful. Everyday is a celebration of life. Begin every day with this affirmation of faith: "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" (Ps 118:24). First, today is the day the Lord has made so receive it with joy and gratitude. "In everything give thanks" (1 Thes 5:18).Second, God only gives you today, not tomorrow, so focus on today. Don't get distracted by the failures of yesterday or the worries of tomorrow. Third, He has made this day especially for you. Today is not an accident; not just another 24 hours. Fourth, everything in each day is made for you -- the ups and the downs, the joys and the sorrows. God is involved in every aspect of your today. So, "give thanks for everything" (Eph 5:20).Finally, expect something good to happen today. Then go out and make something good happen. You've got to make something happen in order to be happy

No comments: