Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Cross

The Cross
Recently I found myself humming an old, but familiar song. I’m sure you’ll remember it: “I am persuaded; Lord to love you; I have been changed to bless Your Name; I am constrained, by this great gospel, Forever to worship Thee…”.
As I eventually began to sing the song out loud (I refuse to accept that singing is not one of my gifts), I couldn’t help but think about the words. “I am constrained by this great gospel.” That line surely isn’t popular in this new decade.
Think about it. Words like…
Sacrifice
Self Control
Submission to a higher authority
Saying ‘no’ when everything and everyone else says yes
…in the culture that we live in, these virtues are not only unpopular, they are almost obsolete. As a matter of fact, someone living their life by a moral compass is often criticized and laughed at by people in their social circle.
Let me give you an example. Have you heard of the popular pop singing group the “Jonas Brothers?” Although I am not completely familiar with their music, I remember hearing that these young men had committed themselves to staying abstinent until marriage. Whether or not they are sticking to their commitment is irrelevant. What is interesting to me is the fact that these young men were the ongoing fodder for many comedians for quite a while. As a matter of fact, a popular comedian went so far as to suggest that these young men were impotent because “why else would someone wait until marriage to have sex?”
In other words, why on earth would someone exercise self restraint by choice?
Can I be transparent with you? One of my biggest concerns is that in my effort to stay culturally sensitive, I might risk becoming spiritually distant and watered down. Am I alone?
I feel a special connection to people that probably won’t walk into the church doors. And many of those persons, to be frank, can’t understand most church folk.
To be honest, I am what someone would consider ‘church folk’ and at times I can’t understand us.
Sometimes we can be so spiritually minded that we are no earthly good. Do you know what I’m talking about? Some of us can’t hold a conversation about anything unless it has ‘thus’ and ‘thou’ included. But at the same time, as I obey my life calling, to reach those persons disconnected to the church, I can’t compromise the Way of the Lord. I have to remember that principles of self denial are crucial to our walk with Christ, regardless of what messages we are being bombarded with daily.
I have several mentors in the Word of God, and the Apostle Paul is near the top of the list. He addresses this very issue (for me at least) in 1 Corinthians 6:12-20. This is what I hear when I read it “Robin, just because the culture tells you that it’s okay for you to do it, doesn’t mean you have to do it. Girl you were purchased with a price and the price wasn’t cheap. Act like it!”.
Are you like me? Is your heart turned towards those that for whatever reason aren’t turned towards the church?
If so, stand with me as I recommit to being…
…culturally sensitive, yet spiritually transformed.
…Relevant and spiritually sound.
…real while spiritually submitted.
Because what would it matter if we gained the world, but lost our souls? (Matthew 15:26)

No comments: