Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Sideshow

The Sideshow
Milan Ford
As a 33-year old, some may find it strange that I happen to be a big fan of 70's music. Not exactly sure how I actually became one.
I used to think it was because of all those crazy space outfits the bands back then would wear. Or maybe it was because many could argue that the 70's were the last decade real instruments were used or played by artists on stage. You can blame my generation for that.
One thing is for certain: the artists back then were great at telling stories through their music.
A great example of that talent was the 1974 classic hit, Sideshow. By far, one of my favorites. Who can ever forget that famous circus melody and barker announcement, followed by the legendary falsetto voice of Ted Mills, who sung these words ever so softly:
Step right up, hurry, hurry before the show begins, my friends
Stand in line, get your tickets, I hope you will attend
It'll only cost you fifty cents to see
What life has done to those like you and me
Then I first heard those words as a child, I (in ignorance) got excited. An avid fan of the circus, I just knew the singer would begin to talk about some of the trademark attractions I had come to expect and enjoy every time I went to "the big top."
But then came these words:
See the man who's been cryin' for a million years, so many tears (So many tears)
See the girl who's collected broken hearts for souvenirs
It's more exciting than a one man band
The saddest little show in all the land
What? Did I miss something here?
What happened to the human cannonball?
The tightrope walkers?
And of course, those incredible tiger-tamers?
What kind of circus act could have possibly caused all this pain? It took me a while, but I think I found one.
"For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God.
Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening?" (James 3:7-10v)
God has given us all a unique commission to bring forth fresh water to a world dying of thirst.
But more often than not, the water our tongues produce has a tendency to become bitter at times.
As believers, we all have been guilty of using our tongues to lift up prayers and songs of worship to a loving God, while at the same time, using them to attack out friends, family members, co-workers, and yes, even our church leaders.
Let's just be honest for a second; Our tongues can create quite a sideshow.
Like never before, our nation is looking for men and women of wisdom. They're looking for people whose tongues are so fixated on the love and kindness of our God that no matter the circus act, we are always able to give the world a better show.
Remember This: The power our tongues have can change the very course of someone's life.

I challenge us all today to examine the words we speak. The jokes we share. The emails we receive. And the ones we decide to forward. The world is taking notes on the kind of acts we are producing.
Don't miss an opportunity to show the world what life in Christ had done for you and me.
Step right up. Hurry, hurry!

No comments: